Mobilised for mission
28/05/2023 - Jody Destry
What is Pentecost?
Pentekoste (Greek) – meaning 50
- 5o days after Easter
- An agricultural festival – wheat harvest
- the birthday of the Christian Church and the start of the mission of the Church to the world
- marked by the sending of the Spirit
Symbolism of the Holy Spirit – Wind and Fire
1/ The Holy Spirit is Personal
- initiate setting of friends and family – inside a house
- flames of fire settled on each person
- everyone is included (men, women)
- everyone is filled
- everyone is empowered to be a witness
- HS personal but NOT private
2/ The Holy Spirit is Public
- from the upper room to 3000 to the known world
- loud and drew a crowd
- catalyst moment that began a movement that is still travelling around the world
3/ The Holy Spirit empowers us for mission and ministry
- they were filled and sent
- everyone heard it in their own language
- the spread of the gospel and the birth of the church
1/ What language has God called you to speak?
2/ What community, culture, tribe, people group, sphere, sector or subculture is God sending YOU to?
How is God wanting to empower you afresh for His mission today?